Accent Modification and Management
Accent Modification training is for individuals with a mild, moderate, or strong accent who want to manage their accent and improve their speech. The focus of this course is to modify existing speech patterns so that you can automatically speak more clearly and comfortably in Standard American English. The Compton P-ESL Accent Modification method is an evidence-based method designed to teach non-native and native regional American English speakers how to speak using Standard American English pronunciation. An accent is NOT a disorder, but rather a result of learning habits (intonation, rhythmic and emphasis patterns) that are established early in childhood. An accent can be the result of the transfer of speech patterns from a primary language to a secondary language or from learned regional speech patterns (e.g., Boston, New York, or Southern accents).
If you are wondering if Accent Modification training is right for you, answer the following questions:
- Is your speech or accent attracting unwanted attention or interfering with your ability to communicate successfully in your work or personal life?
- Do you often get asked to repeat yourself in order to be understood?
- Do you avoid speaking on the phone, in meetings, or in social gatherings due to the fear of not being understood?
- Has your professional performance been affected (poor performance reviews or poor ratings on social media) due to your communication skills?
If you answered “yes” to any of these questions, then you may benefit from this program.
Benefits of Accent Modification:
- Communicate more clearly and effectively in your professional or personal life
- Reduce communication breakdowns
- Gain greater confidence in your speaking skills
In this program, you will learn how to:
- Improve pronunciation in Standard American English
- Project your voice
- Improve your overall presentation and speaking skills
- Generalize skills and vocabulary learned in the program to your professional and personal life
Training is provided by a certified Compton P-ESL Accent Modification Instructor and licensed speech language pathologist. You will receive an initial and final personal Speech Analysis report with your percentage of improvement, as well as access to practice programs from the Institute of Language Research Division. With completion of all scheduled sessions and recommended assignments, clients can expect a probable improvement level of at least 50% in their Standard American English pronunciation skills.
Individual or small group lessons available. For more details, go to www.continuumreno.com or call 775-829-4700.